Saturday, May 23, 2009

Time, Precious Time...

It is Memorial Day weekend and I do not work either job today. We have been working five ten-hour days at job one with the occasional Saturday as well. Add to that working midnights Friday and Saturday at job two and I log lots of hours on the clock, 74 hours last week for example. Believe me, I am grateful to be employed.

But half of my life that week was work. Factor in six to seven hours of sleep, an hour and a half a day of drive time and, for the week, about twenty hours of "free" time were left to eat and relax and do other things people living in suburbia do...

So no work this weekend. Eight hours of sleep. Time to relax and eat, do some personal errands, meet a friend for lunch and actually enjoy and appreciate a cup of coffee. With perfect Ohio weather today is a day to appreciate.

Time is a gift. And for the moment, each moment today, I am grateful. Grateful that we have food on the table, a roof over our heads, family in good health and freedom to think. Yes, today is a good day. Every day is a good day but it is crystal clear today.

Don't get me wrong, I learn to make the most of any situation. But there are some days, necessary days, when the realization of the gift of time is like breath in the lungs.

No comments: