Monday, May 25, 2009

The Qur'an Sampled

Having been interested in, studied and been captivated by Islam for many years, I have noticed over the years that recitations of the Qur'an can be found in the least expected places within popular entertainment media. Though these are only a few examples, I'm sure there are more.

I remember hearing "Allahu Akbar" on Danny Tenaglia's Back to Mine mix and was astounded. Not only is the recitation itself powerful but the way it was sampled to the beat made it, dare I say, kind of funky.



As I continue to search out new music, I stumbled across My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Brian Eno and David Brynes, a rather remarkable album in its own right, containing various samples interlaced throughout. One song, in particular, is called "The Qur'an". It met with protest upon its original release and was removed from future releases of the album. Religion holds a fascination even amongst those who view it from the lens of historical or cultural interest alone. But it is difficult to deny the power therein.



This is an example as found in the film Powaqqatsi, part of the 'Qatsi trilogy by Godfrey Reggio and Philip Glass, films that are required viewing.



Perhaps one of these days I'll get around to unveiling samples from Christian preachers laced throughout similar music (as found on the song "Jezebel Spirit" on Bush of Ghosts).

No comments: