Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Youngstown Goodfellas Mob Connection...

Back in the early 90s I worked in the up and coming cellular phone industry for a local company called Wilcom Cellular, an offshoot of a local media family. It was a good time to be in the field and I did well for myself (this was how I was able to afford a year of travel...). But I learned how to sell and got to meet some interesting people.

I remember receiving a call late one afternoon from a woman who said she was from California and her boss was coming in to town and needed a local hookup. I said I'd wait. He arrived late and we began talking and he informed me that he was a producer from California who had worked with Michael Jackson and some other well known figures and had been in Goodfellas and was friends with the cast. I was skeptical, of course, but found his story interesting. We talked for a while and he told me he had a home south of where we were. He had a "flip phone" which, at the time, was a big deal as these cost upwards of $1000 at the time. I hooked him up and he was on his way.

So of course I went home and got out the Goodfellas VHS (pre-DVD remember...) and watched the move and lo and behold there he is hanging out on the street when Ray Liotta's future wife cusses him out. Far out. Go to the credits and, yep, there he is, Frank DiLeo. He was also "Mr. Big" in Wayne's World. Apparently, based on his Wikipedia entry, he has been a big player in the music industry. Kinda cool...

But this is not about him or meeting someone famous. I find it more fascinating in a six degrees of separation kind of way.

I remember the very first time I saw the film and was immediately struck at the very end of the film when Ray Liotta, now in the witness protection program, bends down to pick up the newspaper. I instantly recognize the Youngstown Vindicator with its old typeface (anyone know when it was last used?).

I am not too surprised because of Youngstown's notorious history thinking maybe they filmed in Youngstown or something. Goodfellas, mob, Youngstown...makes sense. After meeting Frank DiLeo I knew it was the Vindicator.

Here are some stills:



And, though a bit fuzzy, a better one:



If anyone can find out the exact date of the paper that would be really cool.

For years and years I've thought this and told people about it but looked up the IMDB entry for Goodfellas the other day and found this:

"During one of the final scenes in the movie, Henry Hill is shown opening his front door and picking up a newspaper. Close inspection reveals that the newspaper is the Youngstown Vindicator. This detail was included by Martin Scorsese as an homage to Youngstown, Ohio, which has been referred to as Mobtown USA."

It's August 23, 2023. I finally found out exactly which Vindicator he picks up. 

It's the 7/12/1989 paper. 

A Spiritual Mutt exclusive: 







11 comments:

mjcamp75 said...

the ending was filmed in Angeline Estates in Boardman........the paper, youre right is the Vindicator, i dont know what date it was, and on the license plate of the car you can see its an Ohio plate.......it was filmed here due to the passing of James Prato......it was out of respect for him after his death they filmed it here.....he was friends with some of the real cast members.......also to note, when Joey Naples was killed in 1991, it was Frank Dileo's Mustang conv. he was driving at the time.......hope this helps............

aorto said...

Great, great information! Did not know that about Dileo's car. Far out. Thanks a million.

ghynes6237 said...

wrong- final scene was filmed in new jersey, mafia tribute to prato is obvious bs.

ghynes6237 said...

the ending was filmed in new jersey, prato comment is obvious bs

former Northsider said...

IMDB lists the final scene location "picking up the paper" as Marboro, NJ.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099685/locations?ref_=tt_ql_dt_6

aorto said...

Frank DiLeo (Tuddy in the movie) has a personal (and Youngstown) connection with me.

In the early 90s I was selling cellular telephones for Wilcom Cellular and got to meet him when I got a call from California that he needed cell service in Youngstown.

Apparently he and his wife had property in Wellsville (she may have been from there).

I was there to hook him up and got to chat with him for a while. He had lots of stories about famous folks (he managed Michael Jackson) and his role in the film.

Of course I was skeptical until I saw him in the film (and verified it in the credits). Kinda cool.

Months later I sat next to him at a movie in Cinema South (forget which movie...).

So if it wasn't filmed in Youngstown that is definitely an old style letterhead Youngstown Vindicator. Perhaps Frank had it with him, who knows?

And it goes without saying the Youngstown reptuation as Mobtown USA.

aorto said...

Found a hi-res snippet on YouTube of the scene. A moving truck with Birardi Movers on the side drives by in the background. They are located in Old Bridge, NJ according to their website which is 10 minutes down the road from Marboro.

Unknown said...

Living in the Youngstown area I believe that final scene was not shot in Boardman. For Milear with the houses in that neighborhood and they do not look like them so I believe it was shot in New Jersey based on the comments here and research elsewhere however from the first time I saw the movie I still say that's the vindicator he is picking up

Unknown said...

So wish it WAS Boardman - but not likely.
The Vindicator's Cameo makes me warm and fuzzy!

Unknown said...

I grew up in Youngstown Ohio and know those " guys" . They are all mostly dead and died mostly by murder . Youngstown is no longer a big mafia town and a lot of the people around here still think it's cool. It's not like the movies for sure . I heard the stories about this claim years ago , around 20 years ago I imagine . I heard so many stories hanging out with these guys , mostly through their kids . What a life. It wasn't my life but like the movie , some interesting things and definitely interesting people . I honestly didn't realize it at the time . I know the carpenter who was there when Naples got killed at his new house , no one seen nor heard the murderer, musta been a pro for sure , but Naples was cool dude
One time I heard a story about Richard Pryor being around the guys and how funny he was , other things as well. I didn't realize it at the time and these guys didn't live as rich as one would think. Its so funny as once in a while I ll see their kids and while having drinks the same stories are heard every time , it's almost a spcheel they got used to talking about when they get a buzz. The Youngstown vindicator thing is pretty cool I guess thanks to Tookie is the name I heard who was responsible for putting on that in there .

Unknown said...

I delivered the vindicator to someone in boardman with the last name Campana