Saturday, March 1, 2008

Gnosticism...

As soon as we start philosophizing about what any religion means we have begun the process of Gnosis. "Gnosis" is the Greek word translated roughly as "knowledge" or "knowing" in various ways in the New Testament. It isn't the opposite of faith, as such, but as soon as we start thinking and questioning, dialoguing and debating, philosophizing and trying to explain, we have are on the way to becoming "Gnostics."

Continuing on about Corbin's book from the last post, I have realized that I have Gnostic tendencies in this regard. I often try and explain and understand what it means, seeking logical explanations and deeper meanings in Scripture and in many ways have ended up at places that I recognize in Corbin's work. His work is strongly "gnostic" and tackles areas that are most definitely unorthodox from both a Christian and Islamic point of view. Yet this is where I find myself.

I am not opposed to orthodoxy in either faith but I have a tendency to walk away from it. Lack of faith? Anti-authoritarian? When everyone knows good as good this is not good?

Perhaps it is the intellectual stimulation, the buzz, the tendency to isolate, to be alone with my thoughts.

I don't know but it's where my journey has been taking me as of late...

No comments: