Saturday, June 9, 2007

Jesus Camp

I really wanted to hate this movie, to be so fired up by the lunacy of the fundies that I would have something scathing to say against them. That didn't happen. On one level, I know these people and the beliefs they cherish. On some level, the variety of Christian circles I run in harbors many who share similar views, their children home schooled, fans of Dubya, supporters of the war under the guise of freedom, the rallying cry to pray for the President on "the issues" facing our country. I can respect that and can respectfully disagree.

The pledge of allegiance in church? A pledge to a Christian flag? Creepy. The emergence of an army of Christian soliders seeking nothing short of a theocracy really is frightening.

Anyhow, they are certainly not shown in an unfavorable light and were obviously given full access to the lives of these individuals. This is what they believe and they believe their children need to be taught in the right way. We may disagree with them forcing creationism upon them but it is their right. We may view these children as being brainwashed. I mean, at eleven years old, how horrible is your life that you cry tears of such anguish and pain for your sins? Where did they learn this? Are they really convicted or is it fear mongering? No easy answers there.

But I came away truly feeling for these individuals and their beliefs, especially the founder of the Jesus Camp. She is a sweet woman who is passionate about what she believes, though it is clear she has her own issues. I sense in her a passion for her calling but couldn't help but feel that there is also a loneliness in her unaddressed. Or perhaps it was just the camera angles.

The thing that sinks, or confirms, the film is Ted Haggard. There is an irony in his inclusion here, I suppose, in his mocking tone while preaching about the same subject matter in which he found himself scandalized. It's hard not to look at him and think about that.

Overall it is a sympathetic portrayal. Not all Christians are like this and not all fundamentalists are like this. They may share some, or even most, of these beliefs, but this is only a small subset of a very dynamic culture so it is certain stereotypes will abound. But it is a thought provoking film, disturbing on some levels, quite moving on other levels.

But I know these people. I am in their midst and yet I am not one of them. I am not sold out, not so much on Jesus, as much as I am quite aware of what can only be described as a culture that operates under the banner of his name and seek to limit my association with it. I am, in fact, one of the ones that one of the young evangelists mocks and claims is "dead". Sigh...

No comments: