Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Where I'm Stuck

This theology stuff is, dare I say, fun. I like where it takes me and how it moves me. But is it true?

I recently stumbled across one of the more thorough and detailed anti-Trinitarian websites and was quite mesmerized but the content. All the arguments are ultimately grounded in the Bible and the logic is quite sound.

However, it left me wondering:

1) The very same Bible that is being questioned is the very same Bible being used to prove that it is not what the Church, by and large, has historically said it says. Is that not a tautology?

2) If in fact that what he says is true, I am left puzzled as to what the big deal is about the Jesus he presents. Sure I may have my 'theological' lenses on and can't see what he sees but I don't know how this Jesus would have survived for 2,000 years or, at the very least, how this Jesus would have been more than just one option among many and may even have potentially just fizzled out our became amalgamated into some other religious stew.

3) When he says not to call him a Modalist, an Arian or a Unitarian I am left with the question (and I too hate labels, cf. Dao De Jing 32 for reference) what is it we are left with? How is he not a denomination of one amongst the hundreds, even thousands, of other denominations? Or is his point that that is the point: work out your own salvation? Otherwise, his denomination is a denomination albeit an apophatic 'anti-Trinity' version (rather than a cataphatic theology such as Oneness or Unitarian).

He is coming from being immersed in the Trinitarian universe for most of his life and he has come out of it and is sharing his discovery. I'm in the opposite boat; I've fought it for most of my life and have come to 'rest' in it at this point though of course I am still wrestling with it. Obviously.

However, as I've come to learn in my studies from an EO perspective, the Trinity tends to be more experiential than it does rational or intellectual and it is in this that some of the difference resides.

Perhaps I'm looking for the high of such a 'mystical' approach but this overly rational approach leaves me a bit cold and wondering what the big deal is should it be the truth.

Still on the road to discovery. 

No comments: