Friday, July 29, 2011

The sameness of the world and the trappings therein...


Two separate photos, two separate days, two different ends of town.

Sometimes there are moments where the world slows down and true awareness of one's surroundings strikes.

One was taken while waiting for almost ten minutes at an ATM. With the increasing obsolescence of the teller, performing multiple transactions for a carload of people is not an infrequent occurrence.

The other was taken in a moment of pause after having similarly waited, this time for a [insert brand name] cup of coffee.

Minus the sun in one and the rain in the other, there is essentially little difference.

Makes me think (quite cynically): this is the best we can do? This is the product of man's (apparent) brilliance?

Really just pointing out the obvious but sometimes it makes me aware of why it is that we are not to place our hope in the tangible, fleeting world in which we live.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Interesting points and reflection. I wonder if our quest for consumerism has sometimes left us a bit alienated from each other and the world around us. I know, for me, a cafe is to be a place for gathering and social discussions. I tend to want to have people join me, but truly there are days when escaping to a cafe to work on my laptop seems more interesting....wonder why? Has technology added to that alienation as our community architecture (no sidewalks on 224) has left us stranded in our cars? Just musing on a friday afternoon.

aorto said...

Great comment, especially the note about no sidewalks.