Saturday, July 16, 2011

A sad chicken sandwich...

Lately we've been moving more and more toward a "raw" food based diet. This isn't the weird, militant kind of raw food diet. This has just been the inevitable progression of fifteen years or more of paying attention to what we eat and educating ourselves as the nutritional climate evolves.

If you were to do some inverting to the FDA's pyramid (primarily the lower blocks) you'd have the raw food pyramid.

While I tend to shun all hints of conspiracies, it is quite curious when you ponder that the base of the FDA food pyramid coincides with the areas of food production that are most corporatized. After all, the "green" stuff can be grown in your own back yard (until the government and/or corporations figure out a way to make this illegal or tax it).  Look at the bottom of the FDA pyramid.  Can you say sponsorship?

Anyhow, last week I had put in a thirteen hour day and had run out of food (I usually pack enough for a ten hour day). Hungry, I decided to whirl through KFC. It's probably been five years or more since I've even set foot in a KFC. Figured they'd have a grilled chicken sandwich option.

Nope. They had a grilled chicken meal. So I asked about the sandwiches and I was told they have a regular chicken sandwich and the double down. "You mean, the kill you twice as fast sandwich?" I slipped out. The cashier, caught off guard, smiled after he pondered it for a moment.

I wanted some road food so settled for a regular chicken sandwich. Added a medium soda, again something I don't normally do at a fast food restaurant because of the markup. But I was hungry, a bit edgy and wanted to hit the road home.

The cashier informed me that as is the case in America it's more expensive to do it this way and a "meal" would be cheaper. So I threw in green beans, figuring there may be some nutrition buried in there.

Got the food to go and was on the road.



White bread, bacon, thousand island dressing and a smaller-than-advertised slab of fried chicken. I was amazed at how incredibly unappetizing it looked. The green beans were just shy of liquid and the soda provided no joy.

As I ate, I was saddened by the whole experience. Bored employees, the whole assembly line process and food that had no nutritional value made the entire experience just plain sad. Can't say it ever provided joy in the past but I have never eaten food that actually made me sad. Other than some protein and some calories, there was absolutely nothing positive there.

I am grateful for the way we are beginning to eat but it saddens me to think of how our government and our corporations are basically death merchants. Granted, they are feeding the population what they (think they) want but to what extent has the propaganda of our corporatocracy fed us this from birth? You are being lied to.

I wonder: does the upper management of KFC (or any fast food chain) actually eat the food they peddle?

No comments: