Sunday, June 28, 2009

Spiritual burnout?

I am working on becoming human. I bought a grill. That may not sound like a big deal. But I never "got" the grilling thing. It always seemed so suburban. So we bought a basic charcoal grill. I get it now.

And there's nothing "spiritual" about it. I suppose I could find something there. But there are times when spirituality can seem so high, so uppity, so otherworldly and elitist that it leads to a disconnect on the human plane. This isn't the "in the world but not of the world" variety of disconnect as in that statement there is a definite engagement with the world around.

I'm talking about the spirituality, more, I suppose of the mental or intellectual variety, that leads, if not to an air of superiority, to fatigue, distress, loneliness. If one isn't careful, such a spirituality can be dangerous, a religion of one.

So in grilling, I've joined the human race.

2 comments:

Robert said...

I got into grilling by way of my love of things Japanese. The idea of doing some yakitori and drinking a few beers while staring at flames appealed to me. But I haven't brought it out of the closet lately.

aorto said...

That caught me off guard and made me laugh. You made my day. Much appreciated!