Saturday, November 8, 2008

Worship music or the coffee?

So I'm sitting at work, feeling quite soulical and burdened by the cares of this life. Got bills out the wazoo, lots of things needing fixing, things we can't do that need done, struggling with angst and the thoughts in my head, and I'm realizing that quite often listening to music that feeds this doesn't help me out of it. I feel the sympathy inherent in the music and it comforts to a degree.

So I decided to listen to my "Christ mix", all the songs that have great meaning for me for a variety of reasons, and as the hour rolls on I find my spirit lifted. Or is it the coffee? Could be both but the music has dusted off the cobwebs and has provided me a level of peace in the midst of the mess.

I Can Only Imagine - Mercy Me (how can you not like this song?)
Rescue - Jared Anderson (played frequently during missions video at church)
Let It Rise - Big Daddy Weave (phenomenal worship song at church)
Lord Have Your Way In Me - Hillsong (mellowing)
How Great Is Our God - Chris Tomlin (makes me cry, aware of the depths of my sin and the grace, mercy and love of God)
To Worship You I Live - Israel Houghton (pure worship)
Worship Medley:Holy Ground/Holy Holy Holy/Alleluia - Israel Houghton
Alpha and Omega - Israel Houghton
Victory - Yolanda Adams (uplifting)
Imagine Me - Kirk Franklin (speaks right to the heart)
Let It Go - Kirk Franklin (my song)
You Never Let Go - Matt Redman (a reminder)

Quite a diverse mix, very much like my musical muttness. Muttness simply means that I embrace difference while at the same time recognizing its unique character, fuondation and purpose.

No comments: