Friday, April 27, 2018

Verse Of The Day

I have two Bible apps and get a Scripture of the day on each. Over time I have begun to notice that the same verses begin to appear over and over again, especially around the major holidays. Is this to keep the calendar cyclical, a reminder of the time and the seasons and their relation in time to things higher? Perhaps.

But it is starting to feel akin to Top 40 radio (mind you, it's been 25 years or more since I've listened to Top 40 radio) when you would hear the same song cycle over and over again, often with in the same day. The same Scriptures, the Top 40 if you will, repeats on each app (though I've never seen the same Scripture on both apps at the same time).

It's sort of the softball version and probably isn't the place to go deeper. But after a while they start to 'feel' like a pop song. Catchy melody, soft lyrics, light and airy. I suppose that's the point, those little moments of encouragement, those little reminders. 

But what about some of these verses? Wouldn't these throw us for a loop and really cause us to pause?

“He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.”

"Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me."

Or these?

"Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing."

"Therefore kill all that are of the male sex, even of the children: and put to death the women, that have carnally known men. [18] But the girls, and all the women that are virgins save for yourselves."

No comments: